Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Baby, She Wrote Me a Letter

I spent most of yesterday working at my other job, so I wasn't here to watch the work being done at the house.  I'm sure the construction workers were glad to get rid of me for the day, since I'm always asking questions about what's going on.  I'm just so curious about the process of building a house, as well as all the things hidden in the walls that help run it.  And since the walls keep disappearing, this is a great time to see how it all works.  

Anyway, when I returned home, I did notice that the mailboxes in the mailroom had been removed from the wall (don't worry, ladies, I still have your mail, though I think I'll delegate sorting an entire summer's worth to someone else when you get back :).  I knew they were going to do it that day, which is why I packed up all the existing mail before leaving for work.  So when I got home and found a pile of letters scattered across the floor, I was confused.  Hadn't I just collected all of that?  

And here is where the FUN begins....  When I picked up the pile on the floor, I realized it was a collection of letters that, over the years, had fallen behind the mailboxes or gotten lodged in the nooks and crannies around them.   How cool!  The earliest paper dates to 1969 (a change of address form for the Post Office, bottom left corner in the picture below), and the most recent is a SGA "Spirit Card" listing upcoming campus events from 1997 (below, the white almost-square card, top center-left).  I spread out the letters on a cork board and took a picture so you can see what I found.

Top Left Corner: The Master's Business church newsletter, Volume 9, dated March 1, 1972.  Addressed to Marilyn White.

Orange Card (Top Left): $2.00 off on your next large pizza purchase OR $1.25 off on a medium sicilian pizza.  Expires March 4, 1985.

Pink Card (Top Left): An advertisement for "a personalized picture by Nancy."  Free delivery and the pictures are "made to order to resemble you or whoever." (undated)

Business Envelope (Top Left): Unopened letter from the National Association for Visually Impaired addressed to Lynn A. Schreiber (looks like someone was Doing Good!).  Postmarked December 1983.  Lynn - if you're reading this, I will forward it to you!  

Business Envelope (Top Center): Unopened notification from Life magazine addressed to Miss K. S. Rempe, subscriber.  (undated)

Large Yellowed Envelope (Center): Appears to be a newsletter, or possibly a letter, addressed to Gracie Luttrell, from a Jean M. Walsh.  Unopened.  $0.06 Eisenhower stamp.  Postmarked October 24, 1970.

Two Light Green Cards (Center): Looks like Anne E. Fields took Freshman English 2 (Jordan Hall Rm 307) and College Algebra & Trig (Jordan Hall Room 302) in the spring of 1983 (these are receipts for payment for the classes, dated 11/29/1982).

Dark Blue Card with Bulldog Image (Center): Bulldog Savings Card.  "Card must be presented before ordering merchandise/services.  Not valid on special sales.  Expires 6-1-87."

White Bookmark-sized Card (Lower Center-left): Discount Coupon for 10% off any printed item on pages 5-7 of the Anderson Fraternity & Sorority Supplies company catalog.  Expires 8/1/83.

White/Grey Card with Image (Bottom Center): Parklane Hosiery (Lafayette Square Shopping Center, Suite 766) Pantyhose Savings Club card, dated February 1972.  "Club members receive a free pair of pantyhose or stockings after purchasing 12 pairs as needed.  The free pair is to be of average price as those purchased.  Honored at all stores coast to coast."

White Index Card-Sized Post Card (Top Right): Addressed to Jana Held, postmarked January 26, 1983: "I have been trying to reach you.  Please call me as soon as possible, even nights or weekends.  My toll-free telephone number is 1-800-641-4520.  Jane P, Magazine Service Company."  Unfortunately, I don't think this helped her get in touch quickly....

Letter & Envelope (Bottom Right): First, I have to say that the letter was separated from the envelope (I didn't open it, I swear!), but they clearly go together based on the handwriting.  The envelope is addressed to Anne Fields, Delta Gamma, and reads: "Anne, Hi.  I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that I really enjoyed being with you last Saturday at the pool.  I hope we can get together again very soon.  I think you're a very special person, and I would like to get to know you alot better.  Love, Tim (Jim?) Edwards."  AWWWWWWW.  So cute!  Anne, if you're reading this, I hope you don't mind me sharing.  Also, Anne (or anyone who knows Anne), get in touch and I'll forward this to you!

....I know I won't be a house mom forever (as much fun as it is), so I find myself often wondering about what exactly this job is preparing me for.  From the looks of this post, I ought to either consider a job in construction (ha!), or maybe as an archivist.  I just loved finding these letters and notes and scrap papers.  Sure, there's a lot of history in the house, between the yearbooks and trophies and composite photos, but this seemed to me a much more interesting glimpse into the past and the women who lived here before us.  How wonderful that this building has been housing Alpha Taus (and at least one Gamma Iota :) since 1936, and will continue to do so for the next 73 years!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to blog this transformation! I'll share it w/my DG sisters. I graduated from Alpha Tau in 1992.

    Maybe you could add BU DG blogs to your blogroll? Mine is http://4thfrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Amy... I think I did this correctly... I added you to the "My Blogs" feature, and added the "Followers" option. Hopefully that will help link DGs together. I am such an amateur....

    ReplyDelete